It’s been a year now since this Taipei Grand Trail have been opened by the Geotechnical Engineering Office of the Public Works Department of Taipei City Government. To encourage and promote more people to get outdoors and enjoy the life in the nature. Taipei Grand Trail covers distance of around 92km for the entire route with an elevation gain of 1120m.
With some of the breath-taking views and trail goes through one of the most scenic routes in Taipei’s National Parks. Overlooking the views of Taipei Skyline, Mountain ridges and through some park connector.
One could easily walk on their own on these trails, as the trails are very well marked. You could also download the route GPX files from the link end of the page. You can also pick up the hard copy of the entire map route from this GEO Office from this location: 3rd Fl., No. 300, Songde Rd. (松德路), Xinyi Dist., Taipei City. You can also find various trail maps around Taipei from this office location.
Taipei Grand Trail MAP
Taipei Grand Trail – Routes
Taipei Grand Trail is divided into 7 sections, of which 5 sections are in the “The Grand Hike: North Area” and the other 2 sections in “The Grand Hike: South Area”.
The Grand Hike: North Area
- Section 1 (GUANDU MRT STATION to ERZIPING)
- Section 2 (ERZIPING to XIAOYOUKENG)
- Section 3 (XIAOYOUKENG to FONGGUEIKOU)
- Section 4 (FONGGUEIKOU to DAHU MRT STATION)
- Section 5 (JIANTAN MRT STATION to BISHAN TEMPLE)
The Grand Hike: South Area
- Section 6 (CHINA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY to LIUGANG MRT STATION)
- Section 7 (NATIONAL CHENGCHI UNIVERSITY BUS STOP to DRAGON TRAIL HEAD)
For beginners doing 1 section a day is more suitable and can be easily completed. You can allocate yourself for 4-6 hours to complete each section on a leisure pace. Section 2 and section 4 would need more time due to various steep ascent along the trail. Can be completed in 7days.
For people with good fitness level and who are experienced hikers can choose to do 2 sections at a time. Allocate at least 8-10hours to complete 2 sections in a day. Section 2 and section 4 would need more time due to various steep ascent along the trail. Can be completed in 4days.
I and my buddy Jason we completed this route in 4Days by doing 2 sections a day.
We did the routes as below:
Day 1: Section 1&2 (Guandu Mrt Station to Xiaoyoukeng)
Day 2: Section 3&4 (Xiaoyoukeng to Dahu Mrt Station)
Day 3: Section 7&6 (Mrt Muzha Station)
Day 4: Section 5 (Bishan Temple to Jiantan Mrt Station)
Do take note some of the safety things along the trails:
- You could easily get lost at some of the section, do keep an eye on all the trail markings along. Some section the markers are not well marked do ensure you have downloaded the GPX route offline to use
- Most of the section the telecom network is available except some section of the trails in north mountain range. Do take note of all the emergency respond number before you start the trial
- Carry sufficient water for the hike. Section 2,4,5 there are no water points along the route. You will need at least 2 liters of water for each section. Section 4 has river stream you could carry water filter incase of emergency
- Carry sufficient food for the trials only section 1,5,6,7 there are some food places along the trail for refill
- For safety reason always stay on the trail, some part of the trail you will need to detour due to landslide some sections are rerouted. Get the latest updated information from the GEO Office.
- You can get the latest updates about the Taipei Grand Trail here : https://www.facebook.com/Taipei.Trail/
Things you need for a day trip:
- Day Pack (waterproof)
- Good hiking shoes
- Headlamp/Torch light
- Trail Food / Energy Bars / Energy gels
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- Maps (hardcopy/softcopy) – GPX files preloaded
- Rain gears/Poncho/Jackets
- Hiking poles/Gloves
- Power banks/spare batteries
You can download the GPX files here for the entire Taipei Grand Trail here:
Taipei Grand Trail – Section 1 and Section 2
Taipei Grand Trail – Section 3 and Section 4
Taipei Grand Trail – Section 5
Taipei Grand Trail – Section 6
Taipei Grand Trail – Section 7
For any queries or information on the trial do contact us: